eHerkenning is constantly evolving and supports various features. The basic features of eHerkenning are as follows:
- Identifying and authenticating a company that is conducting business.
- Requesting and using an authentication token.
- Registering an authorisation and consulting this in an authorisations register (authorisation).
- Connecting to- and purchasing a service.
- Requesting so-called self-declared attributes that the user provides. Data can only be given to the service provider whose web service has been logged into with the explicit consent of the involved party.
eHerkenning can already be used in the business, government and consumer sectors. Features such as supply chain authorisations and single sign on have been added to release 1.7. New features such as electronic signatures and the Machine-2-Machine domain are currently being developed.